Hey pals! How are you all doing? I am very happily on my holidays this week, sunning myself in... North Yorkshire??? As I wrote in my newsletter, I am a little embarrassed that we chickened out on taking Benjamin abroad this time around, but it was just becoming too expensive and/or anxiety-inducing to go anywhere 'cool' at this time of year. And, we've been a bit restricted with dates because as of next week, we're going to be in full renovation mode for two full months.
We're having our roof, repointing, windows, fences, deck and bathroom all redone and I'm hoping that it'll all be nice and finished and shiny by the time it's Benjamin's birthday party at the end of July. It really will be so nice to have the house 'finished' (bar a few prints and plants and accessories here and there). It's been two years in the making, but I'm hoping we can then live in it without constant DIY jobs for a few years before we think about moving on, which will be so nice. Remind me of all this when I'm tearing my hair out at the beginning of July when we have no bathroom and everything is running late...
I'll probably show you all when it's done... although I have been very lax with doing 'before and afters' of the rest of the house. Maybe that will be my summer project. On top of all of my other projects, of course, because I never learn to restrict myself to one or two things. What is life if not filled with to do lists and half-finished projects?
- Meet the Black Women Upending the Romance Novel Industry *praise hands emoji*
- "I'm chronically ill and afraid of being lazy"
- I would live in jumpsuits everyday; if you're the same, you might like Anna's round-up
- You've probably already seen some of these on the 'gram already: Britain's Most Instagrammable Cafes
- This piece on Amy Schumer's latest movie and beauty standard denialism is really interesting:
But part of the conditioning of the “patriarchal ideal” is to make women feel empowered by it on their “own terms.” That way, every time you critique an unspoken requirement of women, you’re also forced to frown upon something women have chosen for themselves. And who wants to criticize a woman’s choice?
- Sarah's post on valuing respect in our parenting really made me think.
- See also: Rosie's list of 12 things I've learnt since becoming a parent
- Bonus: 16 children's books that foster acceptance - Ben is just starting to get interested in books and that brings me so much joy!
- I'm thinking about making one of these DIY Giant Tassel Wall Hangings for our spare room.
- This video of different dumpling recipes from around the world makes me want to eat nothing but dumplings for a year...
- 'Unfuckable' women don't go on killing sprees (this is from a few weeks ago, but sadly is as relevant as I write this as it was then).
- Solo cooking as self care by the wonderful Signe Johansen.