As I write this, I have a cold and am about to go into a full week of solo-parenting and client meetings, so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a bit sorry for myself. It's sod's law, isn't it? But, despite my blocked up sinuses and desire to sleep for a week, things are pretty good around here. Building work is powering on (still, thankfully, on the outside of the house but we've not got long until the disruption starts in earnest) and party plans for Ben's first birthday are underway.
I'm not really sure why I'm so run down, because we've been having a good run of it with Ben recently (despite his new predilection for late nights) and it's *summer* which always makes you feel a bit brighter. Except, I suppose, when you don't. There's nothing profound in that, except that we are all human, and sometimes we have to rest even when we don't want to. So, take this as a little nudge to go and rest yourself, in whatever way that looks like for you. Maybe it is sitting down with a cup of tea and reading all of these lovely links, for example...
- This spooky story on Reddit ate up a good chunk of my lunch breaks last week.
- I love Refinery29's money diaries, and I love Kristabel's open-ness with sharing her own even more (should I do one? I should, shouldn't I?)
- Related: It's Time Women Started an Honest Conversation About Money
- This is on my to-do list: How to Master Pinterest in One Hour a Week
- I would very much like to peruse the world's largest cookbook collection, please and thank you.
- The Sexist, Political History of Pockets. This will blow your mind.
- What goes into taking the perfect Instagram travel snap? More than you would think.
- Stuck for what to read next? Here's 73 books to put on your reading list this summer.
- 'The internet does not hate women. People hate women, and the internet allows them to do it faster, harder, and with impunity.'
- Why are so many celebrities embracing the 'unmade' (or 'undermade') make-up look?
- I love this take on Anne Boleyn (and I love how the Tudor queens are really having a moment right now)