When we moved into our house, we went hard on the DIY. From June to November, every spare moment was taken up with painting, sanding, laying floors, going to B&Q, stripping wallpaper and every other conceivable task needed to turn our house from an ugly shell into our home. Our bedroom was the first thing on our list, and it was 90% done after the first month or so - and then it sort of stayed that way. We ran out of steam and money at about the same time, and as our house had become liveable and some corners were Instagrammable, we left it that way.
With Benjamin on the way, we got another burst of energy and did a few more bits - but as he was sleeping in with us for the first few months of his life it meant that a lot of our space was taken up with baby things. Although Ben has been sleeping in his own room for almost three months (the government recommends 6 months but we transitioned at around 4 months), we've only just got around to moving his Snuzpod out of the room and 'finishing' this space.
The size of the bedrooms were one of the big selling points of this house (as you can see, the decor was not...) - because of the big square bay windows, our bedroom has a lot of extra space for a chair (which has been very handy for night feeds) and for our bar cart. This bar cart originally lived downstairs, but we changed to a cabinet when babies who could move around started to visit (with their parents, not just on their own...) - having alcohol at baby-level didn't seem like a great idea, especially with Benjamin not that far away from walking himself. I didn't want to get rid of it, as its one of my favourite things we've bought for the house, and luckily the copper colour matched with the colour scheme so it's made a move upstairs.
I planned a lot of the rooms in the house before we moved here; I'd already been eyeing up this copper bed before we even bought a house so it was a must-buy. I'd seen a lot of beautiful rooms with navy and copper on Pinterest and Instagram, and it seemed like the perfect colour scheme for a more relaxing room - the shades in other areas of our house are a little more 'in your face' compared to this. A bit of blush pink, and the whole thing was complete! Although this was one of the simpler rooms in the house, we still had to dismantle the built-in wardrobes, strip two layers of wallpaper, take up the carpet and strip & repaint the skirting boards & picture rail before we even got started on the good stuff. It was a labour of love, as the whole house has been, and I'm really happy with how it's come out - especially now I look back on those before pictures almost two years later.
Obviously, even though I call this room 'finished' - there is plenty that I would happily change. The IKEA drawers and wardrobe are both not-quite-temporary. I wanted some dark wood ones to match the bedside tables but we ran out of money and needed the storage, so these are a compromise until we redecorate in a couple of years. They're not the most glamorous but they do the job! Our eventual plan is to have a loft extension and create a 'master suite' in the loft - so this room will eventually be either a guest room or a bumper playroom/bedroom for Benjamin - but that's a good few years off at least. So, for now, I'm happy as it is!