If you've been hanging around these parts for a while, you may remember my Weekend Link Love posts. They were some of my favourite to put together, but I'm consuming so much less online now that Benjamin is around so sharing one every week is unlikely. So this monthly Reading List is its new guise - my favourite reads and finds from around the Internet from across the month, along with a little life update.
We're gearing up for Christmas in a big way over here; I've bought almost all the food and only have to fight the crowds at the butchers this weekend for our joint of beef. I had a stress dream the other night that the tree had gone completely bald and we'd forgotten to lay the stockings out on Christmas Eve, so I think I'm a bit highly strung about making Benjamin's first Christmas perfect on a subconscious level, but now that I've wrapped all my presents I don't feel stressed about it in 'real life'.
I was unfortunately struck down with a bout of stomach flu on Thursday, which meant we had to cancel our festive weekend plans to visit my friends and family down South. I was, understandably, pretty gutted but, on the bright side, I did get to read the whole of Marian Keyes' 'The Break' which was simply stunning and I would recommend it to you all. I made a goal at the beginning of the year to read 52 books and I'm still 8 off my total at the time of writing, so I'm not sure whether to commit fully and read like mad in the next few days or just let this one go.
I'm already pretty excited about the New Year, too. I'm a sucker for fresh starts and I'm ready to get stuck into all of our exciting plans. Paul is going to be taking Benjamin for a day a week from January so I can go back to work a little bit, which I am looking forward to, and we've got a couple of weekends away booked for January to try and stave off those real winter blues. 2018 is going to be our first full year with a baby, which is mad, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the real world. What are you looking forward to in 2018?
So... onto the lovely links for you!
- Are you an Instagram addict? You'll definitely relate to this...
- I'm absolutely loving the What Page Are You On? podcast at the moment. If you like smart book-ish chat and don't mind adding to your TBR list, get it in your earholes!
- Sophie's not setting any goals for 2018 and it makes perfect sense. Maybe it'll be the year we all give ourselves a break?
- Hayley wrote about how there are no rules for festive eating and all I can say is 'amen!'
- Talking of which, Izy is taking those Christmas cookies to the next level and you should get on board.
- Books are one of the best gifts there are; Gem has a great guide to the best cookbooks for gift-giving and these kids books are the best out there for the little people in your life.
- I'm making it my mission to live more ethically in 2018 (more on this soon) and Vix's tips for doing so, even if you've been shit in the past, are a great place to start.
- Related: Laura's Why I Haven't Gone 'Cruelty-Free' gave me some real food for thought.