I love the ritual of baking. I like popping on a podcast and spending a few hours immersed in all things butter, sugar and flour. It is immensely satisfying to eat something that has been a true labour of love, whether it's intricate decorations on a cake or the crust on a perfectly risen loaf of bread. Cinnamon rolls definitely come under this category of baking; they require some effort to get right - and, although they are worth every minute, sometimes you just don't have the time. So, when I saw Carrie's Cheat Cinnamon Rolls, I was, of course, intrigued. Whilst they're not *quite* as good as the real deal, you can have them in your mouth in 20 minutes - which is a mega plus, if you ask me. I added some Nutella to mine (because why not?) which means you get the perfect mix of flaky pastry, gooey Nutella, sweet cinnamon and all in less time than it takes to watch an episode of Brooklyn 99.
20-Minute Nutella & Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 pack pre-rolled puff pastry
- 4 tbsp. Nutella
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 2 heaped tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Take the puff pastry out of the fridge 10 minutes before you need to use it - this will make it easier to work with. Roll out flat on a chopping board and spread with the Nutella until covered in an even layer.
- Mix together the butter, sugar and cinnamon to make a paste. Spread over the Nutella in another even layer.
- Roll the pastry back up into a tube shape. At this point, you may want to pop the pastry back into the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes, but I find that if you work quickly and use a super sharp knife then you shouldn't really have a problem.
- Cut the pastry into 5cm rounds and pop them into a heatproof tray with some room between them (they'll grow in the oven).
- Bake for 15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.