A few weeks ago, we were invited to a friend's house for dinner and I volunteered to bring wine and dessert. The best parts of any meal, I'm sure you'll agree. The only tricky thing? My friend is vegan. You may have noticed from reading this blog that I, however, am not. And whilst I am happy to go vegan for an evening (or even longer) - I love all kinds of food - I am definitely not au fait at vegan baking. I'm a slave to butter and eggs, and not about to change my ways. That said, I am always up for a challenge in the kitchen, so I set about scouring the Internet for a brownie recipe that happened to be vegan. When in doubt? Brownies will always save the day. Except... it is surprisingly difficult to find a vegan brownie recipe that doesn't require a trip to a health food shop. The Internet appeared to have conflated the word 'vegan' with 'sugar-free', which I am most definitely not down with. Sugar is my boo. Thankfully, Jamie managed to step in with a vegan brownies recipe that was suitably sweet and didn't involve traversing the aisles at Holland & Barrett. A few tweaks later, these coconut beauties were born.
These are particularly fudgy brownies, better suited to eating warm in a bowl with dollops of ice cream (vegan or not, depending on your preference!). They are not quite the same as my beloved Hummingbird Bakery version, but they most definitely hit the spot of a chocoholic like me. The crunch of toasted coconut on top is particularly delicious. I hope you enjoy them!
- 5 tbsp. coconut oil
- 150g dairy-free dark chocolate
- 170g self-raising flour
- 3 tsp. cocoa powder
- 180g golden caster sugar
- big pinch of sea salt
- 1tsp. vanilla extract
- 230ml coconut milk
- handful of flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and fold in, followed by the sugar and a big pinch of salt.
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and scatter over the flaked coconut, pressing slightly into the top of the brownies. Bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the brownies are cooked on the outside and the coconut is lightly toasted.
- Leave to cool in the tin, before cutting into squares and serving.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver