Another week is over. How can that be? Every time I sit down to write one of these posts it feels like just seconds have elapsed between them. If you can't tell, I'm feeling kind of philosophical at the moment. More than New Year, autumn feels like a time for reflection, for planning, for making goals. Only, I have so many goals, some of them conflicting, that it feels almost impossible to choose which ones to go after. For now, I am focusing on getting this blog done and knitting a bunch of snoods. There are worse things to accomplish.
This week has felt a bit all over the place, but looking back on it, that's probably because I packed in a lot. Like coming joint 3rd in a Friends-themed pub quiz. Watching the final of The Great British Bake Off (what did you think to the winner?). Baking a HUGE batch of salted caramel and Nutella cookies. Eating my weight in cheese at The Pit on Friday night. People watching with Paul during our date night. Making a whole bunch of cocktails (recipes to come!). Finishing three books. Finding my wedding dress. It's been pretty intense.
A particular highlight was trying some of the new menu dishes at Roast & Conch on Tuesday, which felt very indulgent indeed. We got to have a little chat with the head chef as well, which was a real treat - it's so fascinating to hear from the people who make it happen. The mac'n'cheese pie with a cocoa nib pastry was truly delicious, and I think the Cocoa Gin Martini (which I've tried before) is still one of my favourite cocktails in Leeds. It's worth the trip for that alone, although I will be heading back there for a proper meal in the not-too-distant future, which I'll be sure to tell you all about.
What have you been up to this week?
- Could you wear just one colour all the time?
- This is something I need to work on: How to become a more eco-conscious consumer.
- I'm desperate to see the Gone Girl movie, even though I didn't love the book. This is relevant: I tried to be the 'Cool Girl' and it wrecked my life.
- I cried a little at Gem's post. We spend so much of our lives trying *not* to get pregnant, that we don't imagine it will be difficult for us. Until it is.
- How to be a solo female traveller. I think I would hate to travel alone, but I have infinite respect for people who do.
- I loved this interview with Izy from Top with Cinnamon. I added a whole bunch of new food blogs to my reader after I finished that.
- Bloomin' Brilliant Brownie Cake. Need I say more?
- These little portraits would make such a sweet gift.
- 10 words you need to know when buying white wine. I usually just look for reduced Pinot Grigio, so I need to up my game. (via Rachel)
- I'm excited to sign up for the Food Photography School on payday. Another area where I need to up my game.
- If you need a little bit of daily inspiration, here's 50 inspirational women to follow on Twitter.