[Photo by Glen Carrie]
This weekend marks the start of my holiday and I could not be more pleased. We're having a staycation this year but we've already filled every day with something exciting - including a stay over in Scarborough, so fingers crossed for good weather. My brother and his girlfriend are coming to stay for a few nights (in fact, they're on their way now...) and I'm going to use this time to convince them that they really should move to Leeds. So we're going to play games in Roundhay Park, eat at some tasty restaurants and maybe pay a visit to the carnival on Monday. So fun.
In other news, I had a driving lesson on the mean streets of Leeds this weekend - I've somehow acquired a car from Paul's Mum so I really need to have a refresh. It's been five years since I last drove and it's safe to say that I'm not very good... I'd say that I'd stick to baking but I also made a questionable blueberry pie yesterday so all in all, not the most successful week! Onwards and upwards though, as always.
- A timeline of my life in embarrassing Brazilian waxes. This made me laugh (and wince).
- This is very important: How to be a good friend to someone with depression or anxiety. (Also relevant: if you are really worried about someone, you can ring The Samaritans and ask them to call your friend on your behalf if you don't feel able to do it).
- 50 Excellent Novels by Female Writers Under 50 - I've added a few of these to my Goodreads list. It's definitely my aim to step up my reading and I'm always looking for recommendations!
- How wonderful are these secret libraries of London?
- To complete a trio of literary links: The 27 Greatest Book Dedications You Will Ever Read. Who would you dedicate your book to?
- Darkly, darkly funny: Things you only know when your parents are dead.
- I want to drink this Vodka Grapefruit Rosemary Fizz. Time to make all the sugar syrups? I think so.
- Why not admit we didn't wake up like this? I know I sure didn't.
- These etched bottles and jars are so gorgeous and would make excellent presents for the people who have everything. People of Leeds, you can buy them at Blackbird Vintage.