I love to cook (and to eat). I cook every day but there are still so many basic things that I have never even tried or considered turning my hand to, for fear that they would be too difficult or time-consuming. For someone who spends so much time in the kitchen, I can be pretty lazy (hello, shop-bought pastry…). It’s something I’m trying to work on this year – my New Year’s resolutions were to bake more bread and make more pastry and so far I’m on track, although certainly not an expert in either (yet) – but it has inspired me to start experimenting a bit more.
Lemon curd was one such experiment – and a very successful one at that. I was making a batch of blueberry scones and was just about to buy a jar of lemon curd to accompany them, when it struck me that I could give making it a go. A quick Google of the recipe confirmed that it was so much easier than I had originally thought it might be (no sugar thermometers in sight!) and so I gathered up my ingredients and gave it a whirl. Believe me when I say that this might be one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever tried, proving once and for all that I should stop being a kitchen wuss and get stuck in to some new recipes every once in a while. The resulting curd is sweet and tangy and ever so satisfying sat in a big jar in my fridge. There’s nothing quite like that smugness that comes from making something yourself, is there?
- zest & juice of 4 unwaxed lemons
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- Place the lemon zest, juice, sugar and butter into a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water, as if you were melting chocolate. Heat until the butter has melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs and pour into the lemon mixture. Whisk to combine the two.
- Leave to cook over the pan of water for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of the spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before spooning into a sterilised jar. Pop in the fridge until you fancy a snack!
- Here's a little tutorial on how to sterilise jars: http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/how-to-sterilise-jars/